Monday, 24 June 2013

Utility versus Superfluity:

I was in an Argos store a while ago purchasing some cheap headphones, and whilst waiting at the counter for my goods to arrive, I noticed that one of the shops shelving units was full of single-purpose kitchenware: electric toasters, electric steamers, electric grills, electric kettles and the like, and it got me thinking: "Why would I want to buy many single-purpose items when I have a perfectly good gas-oven & pans at home?"

Each of the electric kitchenware appliances were about £30, and there were many of them.  Just think of all the different types of single-purpose appliances that you can fit your kitchen out with, including all the different processing appliances (blender, juicer etc).  All of those appliances add up to a lot of money.  A lot of money spent on single-purpose appliances that clutter up your kitchen and drain your wallet of time/money.  A single gas-oven and set of budget sauce-pans on the other hand are only a fraction of that cost, and occupy a fraction of the space.  Utility trumps Superfluity everyday of the week, especially when you're on a tight budget.  Even the US military have begun standardising some of their equipment.

So I guess what I'm saying is that when you're thinking of buying a single-purpose kitchen appliance, or indeed any kind of single-purpose appliance, ask yourself:
- Do I have a piece of equipment in my house that already does this job to a reasonable standard?
- Could my money/time be spent on something more valuable to me?
- Am I buying this appliance because it's useful or because it's 'a trendy, funky gizmo'?


[End.]

No comments:

Post a Comment